This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Hillshire Farm®. The opinions and text are all mine.
With both kids back in soccer there are many nights that I have little to no time to make something for dinner. When I was tasked with buying some Hillshire Farm® Beef Polska Kielbasa Sausage from Target, the first thing on my mind was what could I make that took under 30 minutes? I grabbed a few items like the already cooked rice that you can just reheat for 90 seconds and a couple of other staples then brainstormed up this Quick Creamy Sausage Stew.
When my husband first tasted it he immediately thought it reminded him of Jambalaya. Hey I guess he was right, it had similar flavors maybe not as much on the Cajun spices, but with a few tweaks you could call it Mock Jambalaya. To start I prepped my ingredients getting all the chopping done first so that cooking time was quick and easy. The Hillshire Farm® Sausage is an already cooked meat, it just needs to be reheated so that is why this process goes so fast. I sliced the sausage into 1/2 inch coins then quartered them so that they would be in bite size pieces. Chop the onion, kale, and garlic then you will be ready to cook.
Start by sauteing the sausage in a little bit of olive oil. You just want to get a slight browning on the outside and so that it is warmed through. Once cooked to your liking about 3-4 minutes on med-high, spoon the sausage out of the pan into a bowl for later. Add a little more oil to the pan and saute the onion about 5 minutes or until the onion starts to soften. Little brown bits that were left from cooking the sausage will start to come up and impart more flavor into the dish. Add in the chopped kale and garlic and continue cooking another 2-3 minutes. Dump in one can/container of cream of mushroom soup and small can of tomato basil soup. Continue cooking the mixture until the kale softens just a bit. Another 5-10 minutes depending upon how much you would like the kale to cook down.
While the creamy mixture is finishing cooking, you can heat up the instant rice. Layer the rice in the bottom of a bowl or plate, spoon on the creamy kale mixture, and top with the cooked sausage. Such and easy quick dinner that can be on the table fast and has tons of flavor. Less than 30 minutes to prep and cook is a winner in this busy mom’s book. You could even add more veggies or other meats and spices if you want it to be even a little closer to a Jambalaya. This Quick Creamy Sausage Stew is sure to please the whole family and can stretch far for any size family by adding a few more ingredients.
You can get the Hillshire Farm® sausages right now at Target for 20% off by using the Target Cartwheel app when you check out. I was able to find it in the grocery section right by the deli meats. You can’t beat saving money on an easy dinner like this Quick Creamy Sausage Stew.
- Hillshire Farm Beef Polska Kielbasa Sausage- 12 oz Sliced and quartered
- Medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cups chopped Kale
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 small can or carton of Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 small can tomato basil soup, 8 oz or so
- 2 cups instant microwave rice
- Saute the sausage in a large skillet with a little olive oil until browned lightly and heated through. Remove the sausage from the pan, add a little more oil to saute the onions.
- Cook the onions until they start to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add in the kale and garlic, continue cooking another 5 minutes.
- Pour in the soups. Cook the creamy mixture until kale starts to soften. Season with a little salt and pepper.
- Heat the rice according to the package instructions.
- Layer rice, creamy kale mixture, the top with sausage. Enjoy our quick under 30 minute meal.